“In the excess of the mercy of my Heart, I promise you that my all powerful love will grant to all those who will receive Communion on the First Fridays, for nine consecutive months, the grace of final repentance: they will not die in my displeasure, nor without receiving the sacraments; and my Heart will be their secure refuge in that last hour.” [Jesus to St. Margaret Mary]
Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus began around the 17th Century when a Visitation nun in France, St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, experienced apparitions of Christ in which He desired for people to practice this devotion, to honour and consecrate ourselves to His Most Sacred Heart. He also asked for acts of reparation, frequent Communion and Communion on the First Fridays of the month (nine consecutive Fridays in a year), and keeping of the Holy Hour. He also gave St. Margaret Mary twelve promises to those who practice this devotion.
The Twelve Promises
- I will give them all the graces necessary in their state of life.
- I will give peace in their families and will unite families that are divided.
- I will console them in all their troubles.
- I will be their refuge during life and above all in death.
- I will bestow the blessings of Heaven on all their enterprises.
- Sinners shall find in my Heart the source and infinite ocean of mercy.
- Tepid souls shall become fervent.
- Fervent souls shall rise quickly to great perfection.
- I will bless those places wherein the image of My Heart shall be exposed and honored and will imprint My love on the hearts of those who would wear this image on their person. I will also destroy in them all disordered movements.
- I will give to priests who are animated by a tender devotion to my Divine Heart the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.
- Those who promote this devotion shall have their names written in my Heart, never to be effaced.
- I promise you in the excessive mercy of my Heart that my all-powerful love will grant to all those who communicate on the First Friday in nine consecutive months, the grace of final penitence: they will not die in my disgrace, nor without receiving their Sacraments. My Divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.
First Friday Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus – Every 1st Friday of the month
7:30pm: Adoration with Holy Rosary
8:00pm: Candlelit Mass
9:30pm: Pizza, drinks and time of fellowship in the parish hall (above the child care centre)
Adoration to continue all night until Saturday morning.
Confession available until midnight.
RECORDINGS from First Friday Mass, sung by the St. Joseph’s parish choir
We Fall Down [original by Chris Tomlin]
- Fortiter Non Trepide
- Salt and Light